Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hot Child in the City Seeks NYMag Obsessed Date...

You know it is a slow time in publishing when you revive your blog and start online dating all within 24 hours of each other.

Yes, that's right. I'm officially an online dater- or at least I will be after my first date tonight.

What inspired this, you ask?

Well, besides the fact that book publishing falls into a complete standstill post Memorial Day, I've also been so avidly against the whole idea that I decided to stop taking myself and this whole odd scary scenario so seriously, lighten up and jump on board.

The timing of all this could not be more perfect. It was only this past Sunday that I was passionately describing the desperateness of online dating while in Central Park, tanning with Tim and Laura. Sure, I was saying "Oh, it's alright for some people, but it's just not for me" but what I really meant was "I'm not divorced, past my prime, or losing my hair so I don't think I'd have much in common with those desperate losers on there." I'm not sure what changed 12 hours later, but I found myself completely intrigued by the NYMag and "HowAboutWe" site. So intrigued, in fact, that despite my previously voiced convictions the day prior, I decided that the this dating site was a brilliant idea for people like me- obsessed with NYMag and just want someone to go to all the awesome places with.

I do have to admit that I feel like a complete hypocrite. First of all, I totally judged a guy I was out with once for experimenting with OKCupid (and Colin, if you're reading this... I'm sorry. Who would have thought my sarcastic "maybe I'll see you again on OKCupid?" would be oddly prophetic?). Second of all, I've always have had this wildly romantic view that I want whoever I am with to be with me or no one. I know this sounds harsh, but who wants to be a cantaloupe couple?

Let me explain- a cantaloupe girl friend is one that is a filler. Just like the cantaloupe in the fruit salad is there just for the sake of it (no one buys the fruit salad specifically for the cantaloupe), so is this girl- basically, any girl would do. She could also be considered a "purse," depending on how superficial he is and how hot she is.

This is my BIGGEST fear- to fall in "like" with someone who would pretty much fall in "like" with anyone.

But I'm not looking to fall into "like" right now, and definitely not looking to fall in the other more intense L word any time soon. So why wouldn't online dating be a perfect way to spend this slow summer time in publishing bouncing from one NYMag critics pick to another?

As always, suggestions/comments/concerns are always appreciated...

Fingers crossed.

xKate

2 comments:

  1. Go Kate!
    I wish there was something like that even here in Florence!
    Fingers crossed!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that many of these free online dating websites can turn into cantaloupe relationships. But if one is willing to invest $29.50/month for Match.com, aren't they likely in it for the real deal? Maybe I'm wrong... but the hunt can get quite pricey if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete